Arivu is an innovative school based in Mysore. At Arivu learning is activity based, collaborative and relevant to everyday life. Education is not limited to classroom and knowledge is not limited to books.
While the school provides joyful learning experience for the children, the trust engages in activities like nature walks, star watching, workshops that provides a platform for learning for elders. Arivu looks at human development holistically and works towards facilitating it through cultural awareness programs, nature resource center, community living initiatives and Arivu publication.
Tabla, classical and light music, acting/theatre, desi sports are few of many activities that facilitate learning for kids. Field visits for elders and kids are an important part of “learning through experience”. Visiting places like Kuppalli, Hosa Jeevana Dari in Melukote or the water treatment plant, a bank, the fire brigade, heritage buildings of Mysore have helped our kids to imbibe qualities of observing, feeling the differences and growing up with a mindset of probing to learn more.
Some of the highlights of learning at Arivu School are :-
- Activity based learning
- Thematic study (Interdisciplinary approach)
- Community culture
- Focus on learning from and learning about nature
- No school uniform, no written rule book
- No inclination towards any particular ideology/philosophy yet staying abreast with latest development in learning sciences and educational reforms
- Healthy living (fruity Fridays, organic food awareness, physical activities like trekking)
- More than 30 resource persons (and visiting faculties) involved in teaching various things.
- Every day first half day is for curricular and second half for co and extra curricular, although quite often there is a lot of overlap.